Nemo 33 Brussel
Even though
it is not even February jet, I am looking forward to a great diving experience
which happens to occur every year. You
might ask yourself: “What is he talking about!?”, well, I am talking about Nemo
33 in Brussel. Nemo 33(photo 1) is used as a training facility for starting and
experienced deep-divers and even the Dutch military divers (de Kikvorsmannen)
and the “genie duikers”, who usually dive in the new diving tower in Den Helder
(photo2) sometimes train in Nemo 33. Of course I know all about them due to the
magazine “duiken” (photo3).
![]() |
| My "Duiken" magazines. On the left the Genie duikers and on the right the Kikvorsmannen, entering a submarine |
![]() |
| My SSI deep diving certificate |
Last
February I have been there for my deep-diving specialty. It was an unique experience
to be at the deepest point in the deepest pool in the world. I enjoyed the dive
itself and the preparation that had to be done. Furthermore, I experienced the effects that
depth has on your body. There is no need to get nervous or scared! I shall
explain this.
![]() |
| Nemo33 |
If everything
is prepared in a responsible and correct way it is very safe to dive. You should
have enough oxygen to both descend and ascent and you should pay attention to
your safety stops. And if all else fails, there is a buddy you can rely on.
However, there is a mean element called nitrogen. The deeper you go, the faster
nitrogen builds up in your blood. If those safety stops are ignored, the
nitrogen cannot get out of your bloodstream and will gather at places which are
not improving your healthiness. This however, does not happen often and even
severe cases can be treated in a decompression tank when fast enough.
Furthermore, your air supply is limited. At a depth of three meters I can
almost breathe for over 3 hours, but at a depth of 30 meters, the air is
compressed, either in your lungs and your cylinder. This makes you run out of
air faster. It is crucial to consider this when deep-diving. There are some other illnesses, but these are
not as severe as nitrogen-poisoning.
![]() |
| Location Nemo 33 |
Moreover,
Nitrogen at depths makes one think and act slower. This is what I experienced.
We had to solve a simple sum, like 7+3/5 x 6. At the surface, this was done
very quickly, however at depth it took me a while longer to solve the sum.
These effects disappear when you ascend. These symptoms should not scare you.
When you stick to the rules and regulations and triple check everything, it is
nearly impossible for one to die.
I really
hope I did not scare you. Deep-diving is not a goal, it is a method to dive to
greater depths to see wrecks or such awesome things. I am looking forward to February
and if any questions, feel free to ask.
I have also got an awesome video about Den Helder which I cannot upload :( I'll add the link. These proffesional divers are training an emergency ascend. Pretty cool right?
Den Helder proffesional divers emergency ascend
Den Helder proffesional divers emergency ascend




Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten